When you remodel the design of your bathroom, you need to think of several equally important matters – convenience, functionality (probably, the most important one), pricing etc. However, people often pay less attention to the colors. Bear in mind that coloring plays a significant role in creation of the overall atmosphere of your bathroom. If you want to get the best result, begin with cleaning and sanding all surfaces that will be painted. Do not forget to apply primer for a smooth and clean finish. The color impression of your bathroom can be created in several ways (aside from painting). For instance, to accentuate your color scheme, you can choose palette-matching accessories – toothbrushes, towels, bathmats, and tissue holders. Now let’s move on to choosing the color itself.
- Think of the size of your current bathroom. If it’s rather big, lighter color may create the feeling of emptiness. Darker colors, in their turn, may create a claustrophobic feeling in a smaller bathroom. Pastel and beige tones make a perfect match for virtually any bathroom. To avoid clashing between walls and floors, think of it in advance and choose the general color scheme beforehand. Planning is always handy! Bathroom tiles and decorative flooring is a good choice for any project.
- Decide what kind of impression your bathroom should make. It’s significant to decide in advance because it affects the entire concept. You can use online photo galleries (for example, Bathroom Decor gallery at Good Housekeeping) to find some inspiring ideas. The influence of colors is much stronger than people suggest. Blue, for instance, harmonizes with water and conveys a feeling of relaxation. White, creamy, and milky colors add lights to your bathroom, which is great for makeup application. To create a more dramatic effect, use to or more matching (!) colors.
- Talking about matching. You can ruin the whole scheme by using colors that contradict each other. To avoid such occasions, you can use a digital color wheel provided by the Paint Quality Institute (they may also provide you with specific recommendations for the creation of moods and effects. Likewise, you can scan a colored textile or piece of tile from your bathroom with a color-matching machine that will mix a matching paint sample.
- Do not forget about alternative ways to introduce your desired color scheme. Accessories, flooring, wallpapers, lighting – all these elements can create the needed impression in a small bathroom that requires neutral paint. Do not get too obsessed with additional decorations – it looks awkward and excessive in a bathroom.
- You may ask your family members or everyone who is going to use this bathroom what they think about the coloring. Several opinions, even if they contradict each other, always ease your choice. A decorator or remodeling consultant may help you understand what you want and choose the best way to implement your ideas.