Every kitchen is one the most active areas of the household and that is why; you have to pay adequate attention to different elements of the kitchen. Maintaining decent kitchen hygiene is your responsibility if you want to ensure a healthy and happy household. Guarantee that every individual is on board with these hygiene rules because it helps you keep the kitchen bacteria-free and well functional.
Do you want to help the household and assist in keeping the surrounding healthy? Then you have to make a note of kitchen hygiene rules. Experts illustrate a few vital points that will bring creativity and functionality inside the pantry. If you go by Food Standards agencies, you will see that hygiene requirements are on their priority list. International organizations reveal essential points associated with typical food hygiene and kitchen hygiene. From cooking to food preparation to serving and eating meals, you have to pay attention to every aspect.
Kitchen hygiene tops priority: wash hands
Ensure that you remain free of dirt and dust because it is the first hygiene rule you must follow in the kitchen. It’s easy for germs to transfer, and therefore washing hands is essential for preparing and cooking meals. You have to ensure that your family members know about this priority and develop this habit. Other hygiene tips associated with hands include the following:
- Don’t wear rings when busy in kitchen activities. It is challenging to wash hands when you have rings on your finger.
- Keep your nails trimmed and short, and if possible, don’t wear nail polish.
- While preparing food, you accidentally cut your finger. It is common. Hence, you have to clean it immediately and apply a plaster.
Another essential issue of personal hygiene is associated with hair. You have to ensure that your hair is tied in a ponytail or plaid not to contaminate your food.
Cook foods thoroughly
Another essential food hygiene rule every person must ensure is cooking the food properly in the kitchen. If the food is undercooked, harmful germs may result in food poisoning. These rules help prevent the following:
- Cut the item to check whether it gets cooked thoroughly.
- You may use food probe thermometers to check whether the meat remains adequately cooked or not.
- Make sure that reheated food is oozing heat.
- Serve meals at 70 degrees temperature because it obstructs the multiplication of germs and bacteria.
These are some essential points you must keep in mind when cooking food inside the kitchen. Remember that a conscious homeowner cooks their food strategically and thoroughly.
Proper food storage
Proper cooking is an essential point associated with food hygiene. Another point associated with food hygiene is the appropriate storage of food. Decent storage helps keep food safe from harmful bacteria and chemicals. More so, it reduces the contact between food and air and keeps the food fresh. Play along with these tips if you want to ensure a worthy kitchen experience:
- Ensure that the open food packet or leftover is covered with cling wrap and preserved in sealed containers.
- Airtight containers are appropriate for different foods and safe on the cupboard or shelves. When storing pasta, rice, and flour, you can use these containers appropriately.
- Never put warm food inside the fridge. You have to cool it down and then put it inside the freezer or fridge as fast as possible. When preparing meals for a few days, you must preserve them inside the freezer.
- Never keep food outside for more than two hours. Whether it is fruits or vegetables, you have to put it inside the fridge as fast as possible.
Use food packages for storing juicy items to prevent dripping. You can keep these packets on the lowest rack to avoid contamination. It might drip on the fridge shelves and countertops.
Wipe the kitchen countertop
The countertop is the most critical area of the kitchen. It is that area which takes up a lot of space and helps you prepare your meals. If you want to learn more about fundamental kitchen hygiene rules, one of these is wiping down the kitchen countertop. It would help if you keep it tidy and clean so that there is no bacteria infestation. Other touch points that require regular cleaning and maintenance include the following:
- Fridge door
Handles and knobs of appliances need cleaning.
If you have ever encountered food poisoning, you will understand the significance of limiting cross-contamination. You would never want harmful bacteria to move from raw food items to cooked meals. If you wish to ensure proper cleanliness inside the kitchen, you have to follow the below-given points:
- Use separate utensils for prepared and raw food.
- Use multiple boards for cutting meat, fish, dairy, or bread and vegetables. You may use different color boards because it will help you bring speed to your kitchen activity.
Regular cleaning of the dustbin is essential for ensuring kitchen hygiene. Old fashioned kitchens use conventional dustbins to take care of these aspects. However, the modern kitchen uses food waste disposal units. These are readily available in the market and make your work easy. Food waste disposal units are easy to operate and require little maintenance. Various manufacturers and retailers provide you with a wide array of waste disposal units. You can go for the high-quality ones because you will get a warranty on their machine. Also, you can contact the manufacturer in case of a machine malfunction.
On the other hand, you should understand that waste disposal units make your work easy and less time-consuming. You may feel that it is a waste of money, but that is not so. Food disposal is a critical area where every homeowner must follow a few hygiene rules. When you invest your money in a food waste disposal unit, you will never regret your decision.
Keep your freezer clean
Ensure that the fridge remains free from dirt and dust. It is one of the most critical hygiene rules associated with a kitchen. Spills left alone, and decaying food items may spread nasty odors and become the breeding ground for microorganisms. You may use kitchen paper to keep the fridge clean and well-maintained. Change these regularly and work on your schedule to get the best out of the fridge cleaning session.
Every kitchen appliance requires attention. If you are conscious of kitchen hygiene, you have to make provisions to regularly clean such appliances.