What should I do after accident at offshore?

When you’ve been seriously injured in the workplace, you may be in pain, worry about bills and your future, and don’t think clearly.  It can have a real impact on your ability to claim compensation for your injuries.

Seek medical attention

No matter where you are or the severity of your injury, it is important that you receive medical care immediately after the accident. For starters, your health and wellness should be your number one priority. Medical professionals can test for problems that are not immediately noticeable. We must have a document of your medical issues and expenses when we file a claim. Call your doctor as soon as possible.

Immediately inform your employer of your injury

They must find out about the accident quickly. This allows them to solve any security problem and protect other workers. And it is an important part of the documentation of your claim. Don’t assume that your coworkers will report your injuries to you. If possible, do it yourself. Better yet, write a complete report of the accident and your injuries on paper. Give a copy to your employer and keep one for yourself.

Do your best to document the accident

Take note of any witnesses. Collect your contact information. Take photos of the place where the accident occurred and of any relevant safety issues and equipment.

Talk to an attorney

An attorney experienced in these types of cases can advise you on steps to take and mistakes to avoid. A professional offshore injury lawyer will help you understand the complex laws that may apply to your claim.

Do not discuss your case with anyone except your attorney

You must report your injuries to your employer, of course. But talking about your injuries to coworkers or others can be harmful for you.

Do not sign anything your employer has given you. Do not accept money from them or your insurance company. By doing so, you can sign the assignment of your rights or accept a low settlement offer that is much less than you deserve to receive. Always speak to an attorney first.

If One Died in an Accident at offshore. Can You Help?

Unfortunately, workers at sea often pay the final price – their lives – while working in these challenging and dangerous conditions. Their families are shocked, emotionally devastated, and financial ruin. If the dismissal of your loved one is determined to be the result of negligence, the worker’s spouses, parents, and children can claim compensation under the Jones Act. They may receive money for losses, including:

Costs of medical expenses before the death of loved ones related to the accident

Compensation for the pain and suffering your loved one endured Before death

Compensation for funeral and burial expenses

Reimbursement for loss of income due to the death of your family member

Compensation for the financial support they would have received during the expected life of their loved one

Compensation for services that your family member would have provided throughout his life.

In some cases, family members may receive compensation under the death on the High Seas Act or other maritime laws.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

About the author

Jimmy Rustling

Born at an early age, Jimmy Rustling has found solace and comfort knowing that his humble actions have made this multiverse a better place for every man, woman and child ever known to exist. Dr. Jimmy Rustling has won many awards for excellence in writing including fourteen Peabody awards and a handful of Pulitzer Prizes. When Jimmies are not being Rustled the kind Dr. enjoys being an amazing husband to his beautiful, soulmate; Anastasia, a Russian mail order bride of almost 2 months. Dr. Rustling also spends 12-15 hours each day teaching their adopted 8-year-old Syrian refugee daughter how to read and write.