Are you currently on the brink of relocating to a new property? Do you want to overcome this huge life milestone in as stress-free a fashion as possible? If you want to protect both your physical and your mental wellbeing when you decide to move home, be sure to put the advice laid out below into practice.
Here are three things you must do to take the stress out of your big house move:
Draw up a checklist
If you want to remain on course for a stress-free home move, you need to draw yourself up a checklist. This will help you stay on top of the various challenges that you face, which will increase the likelihood of you being able to meet your crucial relocation deadlines.
Don’t know where to begin when it comes to drawing up this all-important plan? Here is a rough guide of the key tasks and dates that you must include in your home-move checklist:
Two months before you move:
1. Give notice to your landlord (if renting)
2. Invest in packaging and start decluttering your current property
3. Notify your landline and web provider of your future change of address
One month before you move:
1. Get into contact with your removal company and sort out the final details of your move
2. Contact your local tax and customs authority and inform them of your move
3. Redirect your post to your new address
Two weeks before you move:
1. Pack away anything that isn’t essential for the final two weeks in your home
2. Ensure that your car is serviced so as to ensure that it won’t cause last-minute problems
3. Request time off work and clear your schedule for the next fortnight
One week before your move:
1. So long as you are legally allowed to, have a locksmith change your new home’s locks
2. Dismantle and take down fittings that are joining you in your new property
3. Call your utility companies and give them at least 48 hours notice of your move
Invest in self-storage
Transporting your worldly belongings from one property to another is never going to be a straightforward endeavor; there’s no doubt about that. If you want to increase the likelihood of this operation going off without a hitch, you should seriously consider storing your goods in an external unit. Once you invest in a secure self-storage space, you will have the capacity to move your items from home to home at a time and pace that suits you.
If you’re determined to take the stress out of your home-move transportation process, be sure to learn more about self-storage at StorageArea.com.
Keep your documents at hand
You will be asked to show a plethora of different documents at various points throughout your relocation operation. If you don’t want to delay your move at any point, it’s imperative that you have these important files at hand at all times. For advice on what you must do to keep your paperwork safe and organized, click here.